Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Counter Intelligence at Cle de Peau - Fall 2014

I had been intrigued by the PR images on these new Cle de Peau quads.  Several of the options, 308 Cosmic Aura in particular were particularly attractive to me.  I had stopped by Saks last week and did not see them (they are online at Saks now), and was surprised to see them out in pristine display at the counter at Bergdorf Goodman.  It looks like Saks has the pictures for 307 and 308 transposed.  308 is definitely the blue/purple quad.

I took a moment to swatch all the offerings expecting heart-stopping pretty, but left pretty disappointed.  The last Cle de Peau quad version I owned (here) had very pretty neutral tones, but suffered greatly from glitter fall out.  This time around, even at first finger swipe, I was pretty much unimpressed with the sheerness of majority of these colors.  Beautiful soft textures were there, just not the level of color payoff, lack of fall out and finishes I was hoping for.

Hmm, looks like my wibbly opinions are not necessarily consistent to the universe, so do check out some wonderful posts in our beauty blergy-o-sphere:
Noodlies posted about 302, 303, 308 here. as well as a look featuring 302.
Silverkis posted about 305 along with some other picks from that collection here.
Charleston Girl posted about several of her picks 301, 305, 302.

Here are quads 301 Marmalade Sky, 302 Star Dust and 303 Baby Universe.
 Here are quads 304 Champagne Supernova, 305 Satin Moon, and 306 Silver Eclipse.
 And the last two 307 Stellar Gaze and 308 Cosmic Aura.
 Here is 301 below which has a satiny pink, two very pale frosty pink and white shades and a very glittery copper.
And 302.  Pretty colors, but very low contrast and needs some more deeper tones and matte textures I think.
 303 with some warm and mauve tones.  The third satin shade is a lovely plum.
 304 took several swipes of my finger to get any of the shades to show.  Very pretty colors, but really lacking in pigmentation and pretty much disintigrated into glitters that fell off my skin.
 305 are beautiful and gorgeous variations on taupe.  The warm natural light is making it look way to brown, but much more neutral than they appear.
 306 are variations on icy silvered tones.  This could probably be worn to very dramatic effect.
 307 much too metallic and sheeny for my preference.  I thought that the color combination looked oddly executed in person.  I like purple accents with neutrals (like SUQQU Hanashoubu), but this purple didn't provide any visual interest nor textural contrast.  This one was pretty pigmented.
 308 was the one I really wanted to check out.  The first two shades shift colors so it is very interesting, but again the 3 purple/blue tones in one quad didn't appeal to me in person.
 
Oh well.  I really must get into the habit of checking ALL new things I can in person. 
 
Any new releases that you've checked out in person that either really blew your expectations out of the water or really disappointed you?

23 comments:

  1. Belly- I saw these in person - swatched really quickly and left.......not sure what was reformulated - thought maybe I missed something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SA said it is meant to last longer on the lids, but I didn't test them out on my lids. Several of the quads were very pretty... I was disappointed with how they swatched so wasn't compelled to actually try them out.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. At least your wallet didn't bleed like mine! I actually really love these new quads. To me they are smoother and more iridescent than the previous palettes, which was more sparkly in shine than the smooth shimmer of the new ones (at least the ones I remb). Picked up 302, 303 and 308, still debating if I want the one used on Amanda Seyfried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) No my wallet is completely intact! I'm saving my moolah for other Fall offerings. I'm so glad you are enjoying these! Just goes to show the mileage may vary thing is so true. How does 308 look on you?

      Delete
    2. Did a quick 308 first try post here:
      http://noodlesdoodleswithpretties.blogspot.tw/2014/07/new-cle-de-peau-ombre-couleurs-quadri.html?m=1

      It looks gorgeous in person, but wasn't able to capture the luminous iridescence with my poop camera.

      Delete
    3. OY! Somehow I don't have you on my bloglovin feed and missed all your recent posts! I am correcting this miss immediately!

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the shoutout!
      Do think lighting majorly affects these quads. I went and looked at the quads at another counter that wasn't as well lit, did look sheerer than my first counter strike.

      I've only managed to post weekly, max twice weekly, so you haven't missed much ;)

      Delete
  3. 302 looks so lovely but I agree that I'd expect better colour payoff from these. My wallet thanks you! And now I can cast my magpie eyes elsewhere. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It's always a relief when I can cross off a whole mess of products off my wish list, so happy to help!

      Delete
  4. I was at the departmental store today and asked abt CdP Fall. They told me it'll only be stocked end August! So much for heavy marketing in Asia - baaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! End of August!? Why don't they release shit globally at the same time for all brands?! HUH? HUH?

      Delete
  5. Oh sheer they are, I'd pass too. I was pretty impressed by the new YSL palettes and had a bit of a little swatch fest the other day, I'm really tempted. I also swatched one of the Lancôme Jason Wu palettes and the color payoff was amazeball but sooo glittery, I could see myself with glittery specs all over my face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these were too sheer for even my liking. I like glitter/shimmer and love when they stick well to the skin and add all sorts of complex blingbling. I just don't like them all over the other parts of my face either! Blah!

      Delete
  6. BAH! I love the colours and name of Champagne Supernova but it sounds just like the previous gen :( The last quad looks lovely against your hand, but I can see you disliking the bruisiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Champagne Supernovaaaaaaa! What a name! I see that on Silverkis & Noodlies, it shows up relatively well (the other quads) than it seems to show up on my skin for some reason. Maybe me & CdP have a naturally combatant relationship. :( The last quad didn't have enough vibrancy on me for the colors to work. Very interesting colors though.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the guerrilla swatches! I'm totally unimpressed, you could score a similar look with drugstore brands. I think CdeP is so full of haughty BS to charge these prices.
    I've been enamored of good ole' Lancome's "Beige Brûlée" eyeshadow quint, so lovely and buttery textured. Check it out if you can. Their Peter Wu collection is super nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Silvita for the Lancome recommendation! I've heard that their product (esp. eye shadows) are looking really good. I really should take a better look at the counter instead of just picking up my mascara and running. :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you-- I am so glad to see the Champagne Supernova which was the one I was drawn to. I will totally stick with my Kevin Aucoin matt neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, if you get a chance to see them in person, you should definitely check them out. The colors in Champagne Supernova are indeed so pretty and may perform better on your skin than on mine. But yeah... generally, these were really really really bad on me, especially the particular quad. :D

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for the link love, Belly! I think this collection is all about sheer color, layering them into some sort of multi-dimensional, glittery celestial goodness.... *tongue all twisted up with marketing speak* I only had 305, and i'm really loving it... but i'm going to check out the rests soon and see if they're as consistent. :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! I would love to hear what you think of rest of the range. It does look gleamingly lovely on you. 305 colors are very pretty!

      Delete
  10. I was intrigued by the CDP quads but thanks for the honest review, I will need to check them out in person. I did chck out Chanel Posie today, although I told myself I should order it online because it is cheaper. The swatches were drool worthy. I had to get my hands on it immediately. I have very little self-control.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...